We welcome the submission of long-form articles on any historical subject from current UNC undergraduates (or those who have graduate in the last year). You do not have to be a History major to publish with Traces as long as your article is a primary-source driven piece of historical writing. Our articles usually range anywhere from 15-25 pages; while we are happy to work with authors to edit an article down to this length, please do keep it in mind when considering whether to submit your work. If you’d like to submit your History major thesis, for example, please provide us with a particular chapter you think would be well-suited for publication. Capstone and seminar papers typically make good submissions as well.
- The submission has not been previously published. Please make sure you have also read and understood the copyright information provided below.
- The submission file is in a Microsoft Word document file format (.doc or .docx).
- The submission uses a formal citation style. Chicago is preferred, but not required.
- The following information has been provided on the title page: full name, email address (where you can be reached for up to one year after submission), course and professor for which the paper was written (if applicable), and proposed title.
Traces is an annual journal. We are currently accepting submissions for Volume 8 (to be published Spring 2020 by UNC Press), with a deadline of Monday, January 5th 2020.
Please send submissions to TracesJournal@gmail.com
Authors who publish with Traces agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Licensethat allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work’s authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal’s published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.